Thursday, November 1, 2007

Listening online to podcasts



I have chosen tasks for listening from bbc website, because , in my opinion, it is responsible and high level news website. I listened two podcasts: ”Why processed meat might be linked to cancer?”; “Money: BP Fined – 26 Oct 07”. I listened both texts two times , because it helped to seek complete understanding. When I listened first time, I didn’t understand all words and catch only main idea of a text, so I wrote down unknown words in my notes and found translation in dictionary. So, when I listened the next time podcast, it was easier to understand everything. Unfortunately, there weren’t transcripts of listening tasks, however, were summaries of both texts. I have read summaries before listening, so it was easier to understand texts. In both podcasts level of English were advanced, speakers accent were British, so it was easier to understand, because I best know British English. Speaking about rate of speaking, it was on average, speakers did not speak too fast or slowly, it was not difficult to follow speech.
What is more, I would like to compare both listening tasks. The firs listening was easier, it takes 11 minutes, so it was not very long. Also. this text was about link between eating meet and cancer, so there were not a lot of difficult or some special area words. Also it was not difficult to follow speaker’s speech. Speaking about second text , “Money: BP Fined - 26 Oct 07”, it was more difficult then first one. First of all it took more time – 23 minutes. Also the text topics was more difficult and less familiar for me. It considered from three parts: about BP which has to pay £261 million in fines for a series of US law violations including price manipulation, site leaks in Alaska and the Texas City explosion; a report that suggests house prices could climb even further if new builds do not start sooner ; and about Miami Dolphins plans for world domination. There were many unfamiliar and unknown words but after second listening I understand more about what was spoken. What is more, it was easier, that there were three different topics, so it did not make boring to listen all 23 minutes podcast.

No comments: